Monday, April 30, 2012

a little thought on tattoos...

I can't quite wrap my head around this, but someone in the US got a tattoo (permanent ink forever) of my Bigger Boat design on his/her body.

My blog friend Diana Mieczan from the gorgeous ExPress-O blog sent me a tweet this week to say that she's spotted it on somebody's "Tattoo Inspiration" pinboard on Pinterest. Pinned from the charmingly named website, fuckyeahtattoos. Lovely. 

Well here is the tattoo:


And here is my original hand pulled silkscreen print: 
It is 100% a copy. I don't quite know what to make of this. On the one hand I'm a little flattered and on the other hand I'm just scratching my head in disbelief. Guess this is just what happens when you have your work online for all the world to see. What do you think? Opinions? Has this happened to any of you designers out there? 

4 comments:

  1. it's a lovely design for a tattoo as it suggests the maritime past of the form in Europe but the stylised waves have something of the Eastern tradition.

    In short, I think it's flattering and, unlike some of the ways designs get stolen off the web, it's not an attempt to pass off the work, or to monetize the stealing.


    You could follow the links back and leave a comment to say its based on your design?

    ReplyDelete
  2. great works turn into reproductions, readings, insparations and until tattoos.
    feel flattered!
    and sorry for my english =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. that tatoo looks painful.Love your prints - will shout about them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. } hehehe. thats such a lovely compliment.

    ReplyDelete